In England and Wales in 2011, VOSA (now DVSA) issued £2.5m in fixed penalties and deposits and 3,178 convictions were for HGV drivers’ hours and infringement of tachograph rules. All transport operators have legal responsibilities for the actions of their drivers in maintaining compliance with drivers’ hours and working time regulations. Failure to comply with legislation can result in heavy fines, prosecution and the restriction or loss of the company operating licence.
If you are already registered on Smartanalysis, you can find the data, analysis, reports and all the help you need on the Smartanalysis site.
For further information on tachographs, drivers’ hours and working time legislation:
- There is lots of useful information for any transport operator driving in the UK or the EU on the Government’s Business Link Web Site.
- For specific advice on tachographs, drivers’ hours and working time directive in the UK and EU see Using Tachographs: Information for operators and drivers
- The UK Government Department for Transport guidance document for drivers and operators of goods vehicles on all aspects of the EU Drivers’ Hours rules, AETR Drivers’ Hours rules and UK Domestic Drivers’ Hours rules. (Revised 2009 GV262 – 02) Rules on drivers’ hours and tachographs – goods vehicles in the UK and Europe. (Adobe PDF document; 2 Mb)
- The UK Highways Agency current traffic information page Highways Agency: Live Traffic Information.
- Watch VOSA (now DVSA) HGV & PSV Drivers’ Hours Part 1 of 2
- Watch VOSA (now DVSA) HGV & PSV Drivers’ Hours Part 2 of 2
The Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) reported that more than 1 in 20 of goods vehicle and bus drivers stopped in the past 12 months…
According to the results of a recent police operation in Suffolk evidence suggests they are! Police in Suffolk issued over 200 Traffic Offence Reports (TORs) after…
Descartes will display its comprehensive range of on-demand, software-as-a-service solutions that drive supply chain operational efficiency and regulatory compliance at Multimodal 2018, which takes place at…
Police in Nottinghamshire have found 6 tachograph manipulation devices fitted in HGVs since January 2018. The devices are used to interfere with the recording of drivers’…
Buy tachograph hardware, supplies and consumablesFind out more
Digital tachograph download software - from £84.95Find out more
Did you know?
A haulage company was fined £90,662 for drivers’ hours offences and failing to keep records. VOSA operation director said “these fines show that the courts deal firmly with those companies who do not take their responsibilities seriously”.