Is your HGV ready to cross the border?

Posted by AndrewT on 23rd Oct 2020

From 1 January 2021 Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGV) over 7.5 tonnes travelling from Great Britain to the EU must obtain an electronic Kent Access Permit before taking goods to the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel. To apply for the permit, you will need to submit a self-assessment for compliance with EU import requirements and verify you have the necessary EU customs and export documentation before the goods travel to port. You should also be able to verify that you meet UK customs declaration export requirements before the goods travel to port Drivers can be stopped and fined up to £300 and/or turned away if the vehicle proceeds to the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel without a Kent Access Permit and fines could be issued to those found to have used false information when applying for the Kent Access Permit. To take the self-assessment see here. You will need to have the following information to hand when completing the self-assessment.
  1. Expected date and time of arrival in Kent
  2. Any applicable Movement Reference Numbers (MRN)
  3. Any applicable Transit Accompanying Documents (TAD)
  4. Any applicable Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission (ATA ) or Transport Internationaux Routiers (TIR) carnets
  5. Any applicable required documents for animals, plants, firearms, or other specialty goods
  6. The Vehicle Registration Number
For more information see For help and advice on security filings and customs declarations please check out the Descartes Brexit Resource Centre.