Driving abroad? Are you prepared for Brexit?

Driving abroad post-Brexit will change and commercial drivers operating in the EU will need to ensure they have the right documents and plans in place regardless of the deal / no-deal outcome.

This includes the following:

Trailer Registration

From 28 March 2019 all commercial trailers over 750kg will need to be registered to travel from the UK to the EU. For further information see the Trailer Registration Page on www.Gov.UK.

International Driving Permit

Leaving the EU without a deal could mean that you may need an International Driving Permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and European Economic Area (Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein). IDPs can be obtained from the Post Office.

For advice on IDP requirements see

Motor insurance green cards

Green cards are an international certificate of motor insurance. If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, commercial drivers may need a green card as proof of motor insurance cover. Contact your insurer for more information and to obtain a card.

GB stickers

If the UK leaves the EU with no deal, from March 29 2019 you may be required to display a GB sticker.

ECMT permits

Whilst the UK Government hopes that hauliers won’t need ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) permits to drive in the EU after Brexit, contingency plans are in progress for all scenarios including securing more ECMT permits.

For further information see

Drivers’ hours

Operators can expect GB Domestic and EU drivers’ hours rules to apply as they do today. For help in managing drivers’ hours see

Posted on: 28.02.2019

Search blog


Subscribe for newsletter

Read our privacy policy