The Department for Transport has relaxed drivers’ hours and working time rules for drivers delivering heating fuel. This is due to the current adverse weather conditions across the country. The relaxed rules commence 25 January and will continue until 23.59 on Thursday 31 January. It is applicable to drivers delivering kerosene and gas oil to domestic, agricultural and industrial premises. The changes are as follows:
- The 9 hour driving limit will be increased to 10 hours.
- Daily rest requirements are reduced from 11 to 9 hours.
- Weekly 56 hour and fortnightly 90 hour limits will be temporarily lifted.
- The 60 hour weekly working time maximum has been increased to 66 hours.
- Weekly rest requirements are postponed until the end of the period, after which drivers are required to take a minimum rest of 24 hours no later than the end of the eleventh day following their last rest.